Social Media Mistakes

Top Five Social Media Mistakes Dentists Make

lucentspot Blog, Dental Coaching, Social Media Leave a Comment

If your practice has its own social media accounts, congratulations! You are off to a great start of interacting with current and potential patients online. If your practice does not have a social media account, don’t worry! In this blog post we will tell you what not to do and what you should do to make the most out of your social media accounts. Okay, let’s get started!

Ignoring Your Social Media

First, you shouldn’t feel pressure to tweet or post on Facebook multiple times per day. That takes the fun out of social media. However, you should set yourself-up for social media success by posting at least once per day. For each dentist this looks different. Some dentists like to post photos of what they are doing in their office everyday. Others, automate the system and schedule posts for a few weeks or a month in the future. You can schedule on the social networking platform, such as on Facebook’s creator studio, or on a third party platform like Buffer or Hootsuite. Another option is to outsource your social media management to a dental marketing company like Lucent Spot. This way, your specialized team of marketers can stargaze the best captions, images, and times to post on your pages

Don’t Talk At People

This may seem intuitive because in everyday life, most people don’t walk into a crowd of their friends and yell, ‘FREE whitening!’ and then walk away. Without adding context or inspiring conversation in your posts, they may seem impersonal. Instead, you can say, ‘At ABC Dental we are excited that many of our senior high school patients. Go Lions! To celebrate, we are offering free whitening for the whole month of May. Do you know someone who is graduating? Tag them below to celebrate their achievement’. Instead of a lonely statement, you have provided context, personalization, and inspired conversation with a question.

mistakes

S is for Social, Not Sales

The biggest mistake a dentist, or any business owner, can make on social media is forgetting why people are there. When people pick-up their phones to go on Amazon, Ebay, or Etsy they are looking to buy. But, twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube? Consumers are looking to relax and connect with friends and family. Although you should post exclusive social media discounts and offers, it should only consume about 20% of your posts. The other 80% should be intriguing, conversation starting, and inspiring posts. Share a great quote. Show a great smile. Just, don’t push sales on more than 20% of posts. That’s when you’ll start losing followers.

Downplaying Design

This mistake can be tricky to spot and even harder to correct. Simply, as a business on social media you want to gain the trust of your followers and easily transition from ‘dentist’ to ‘friend’. How do you blend in with their friends but keep your business identity? Design. Design. Design. If you take a photo on your phone of the staff, use the best phone camera available, clean the lens before taking the photo, and ensure the image follows design rules. Click here to learn about our top image design tips.

If you want to post a quote, interesting dental fact, or a motivational image, make sure you design it to look professional. However, you do not want to over-design an image with too much text or technical and specific jargon. This will make the image not relatable.

Data is Dead

No. Data is an active part of social media planning and growth. What time of the day should I post? Should you use more videos, photo albums, long captions, or all three? Yes, you can look-up how social media trends may answer these questions, but the best data is from your followers. All and all, the best way to grow your social media presence is to listen to what your patients are telling your through Facebook data such as engagement.

Making any or all of these mistakes does not mean your social media pages are goners. The good thing about social media is that there is always time and room for improvement. Simply, commit to resolving these five mistakes and you can improve your social media skills!

What Social Media Mistakes Have You Made?

Comment Below! 

Learn More About Social Media

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *